What you needSmall rubber ball
Tacky craft glue
Petroleum Jelly (Vaseline)
Sharp craft knife
Ice pick or awl
Potpourri (dried lavender is particularly nice)
Acrylic craft paints in various colors
Cutting mat (to protect the table)
Pearl-headed straight pins
Empty egg carton
1. In the bowl, create paper mache glue using the flour and water.
2. Tear the newspaper into small strips
3. Coat the rubber ball with a layer of petroleum jelly
4. Dip a paper strip in the paper mache paste, and lay on the rubber ball. Repeat with other strips of paper until the entire ball is covered in about five layers of newspaper and paste. Place the paper covered ball in one cup of the egg carton. Allow to dry completely (depending on the temperature and humidity, this may take one or more days).
5. When dry, place the ball on the cutting mat. Make a small horizontal line on the ball (you’ll use this mark to re-align the two half of the paper mache ball after you cut them apart).
6. Using the craft knife, cut through the paper mache coating and gently separate the two halves of the paper mache sphere from the rubber ball.
7. Allow the two halves to finish drying inside.
8. Glue the two halves back together, using the line you marked on the ball to get them properly aligned.
9. Connect the two halves with a few pieces of newspaper and paper mache paste. Allow to dry.
10. Use the ice pick or awl to poke holes in the sachet balls. Make one larger hole in the bottom of the ball, sized so that the small cork will fit snugly.
11. Paint the balls with a coat of white paint or primer. Allow to dry. Then decorate the balls by painting them whatever color you desire, adding painted designs if you want to. Allow the paint to dry completely.
12. Use the small funnel to fill the ball with potpourri through the larger hole in the bottom. Plug with the cork.
13. Tie a ribbon around the ball, using small dabs of craft glue to secure it. Tie the loose ends into a bow at the top of the ball. If you plan to hang the sachet ball in the closet, add a small loop of ribbon or cord as a hanger.
14. Hang in your closet and enjoy the wonderful scent.