This free knitting pattern shows you how to knit an adorable little yellow chicken perfect for Easter time or as a Baby gift. He is 6 inches tall.
What you need
Size 6 US (8 UK) (4 mm) needles
one 50 g ball of (powder puff) yarn in yellow.
One 50 g ball of (8ply) in lemon.
Scrap pieces of orange and white felt.
Strand of black wool for the eyes.
Body first- begin at the bottom
with 2 strands of yarn -powder puff and lemon 8ply cast on 13 stitches
1) knit into the back of every stitch .
2) knit twice into every stitch (26)
5) (knit 2 knit twice into the next stitch) to the end (34)
8) (knit 2 knit twice into the next 2 stitches) to the end (50))
13) (knit 2 knit 2 together twice) to the end (34)
18) (knit 2 knit 2 together) to the end (26)
Change to one strand of yarn ( lemon 8ply)
19) knit 14 rows.
34) (knit 2 knit 2 together) to the end (13)
36) knit 1 knit 2 together 6 times.
Thread yarn through the remaining stitches draw up and secure.
Wings – using the same two strands as for the lower body cast on 4 stitches
1) knit 12 rows
Next 3 rows –
knit 2 together knit 2
Knit 2 together knit 1
Knit 2 together thread yarn through the remaining stitch and secure.
Body – make up.
Stitch around your cast off stitches and draw up now stitch the sides once you have filled your chick stitch around the cast on edge , draw up and secure. Run a stitch around the neck to distinguish the head.
Stitch your wings in place.
Cut out your feet, beak and face ( cut double feet and beak) single face piece.
Stitch both pieces of the beak and feet pieces together with a blanket stitch.( stuff your beak slightly )
Once you have stitched your face piece on . position your beak and stitch into place
Glue your feet on the bottom, to finish make two eyes with French knots done in black wool.
And here is a variation of him in brown.