What you needSize 6 US (8 UK) (4 mm) needles
Wool Double Worsted (8 ply)
2 (50 gm) balls of fluffy brown feather style wool
Scraps of light brown felt
Length of black wool.
With two strands of wool cast on 13 stitches
Body first – begin at the bottom cast on 13 stitches
1) knit into the back of each stitch
2) knit twice into every stitch (26)
5) (knit 2 knit twice into the next stitch) to the end (34)
8) ( knit 2 knit twice into next 2 stitches) to the end (50)
13) (knit 2 knit 2 together twice) to the end (34)
17) (knit 2 knit 2 together ) to the end (26)
22) this row begins the head mark it by knitting in a coloured thread , (to be taken out when your chick is finished) now knit 14 rows
Next 3 rows-
(knit 2 together) to the end (13 stitches)
(Knit 1 (knit 2 together 6 times.
Thread yarn through stitches draw up and fasten off.
Stitch around the cast off stitches and down the side , this will be the back seam.
Leave a gap at the bottom so you can fill your chick , once you have filled it stitch around the cast on stitches draw up and secure.
Run a stitch around the neck to distinguish the head.
Wings ( make 2)
Cast on 4 stitches
Knit 12 rows
Next 3 rows-
Knit 2 together knit 2
Knit 2 together knit 1
Knit 2 together.
Thread yarn through remaining stitches and secure.
Stitch into place.
Cut out your felt pieces (2 beaks )(2 feet)(1 face piece)
Stitch the two pieces together with a blanket stitch (fill the beak slightly).
Once you have stitched you face on, position your beak and stitch into place also.
Glue your feet on the bottom.
To finish make two eyes with French knots from your black strand of wool.