What you need1 yard of printed cotton fabric
Sewing machine and supplies
1. Using a measuring tape, measure the circumference of your head (wrap the tape around the widest part of your head) in inches. Find the following measurements:
For the top of the hat: the circumference of your head + 4/3.14 = diameter.
For the brim of the hat: diameter of top of the hat + 8 inches (more for a larger brim) = brim diameter.
For the body of the hat: head circumference + 3 = length of strips.
- 2 strips that are 4 inches wide x the strip length you measured.
- 2 circles for the top of your hat that are the diameter you measured. It will help to find a bowl or dish that is the same or close to this diameter in order to make an even circle.
- 2 brim circles using the brim diameter, using the same bowl/dish process as the top of the hat.
3. Using the bowl/dish from the top of the hat, center it on the brim pieces and cut out of the center.
4. Sew the two strips into separate loops along the short ends, right sides together.
4. Pin each top of hat to each sewn loop, with right sides together. Sew the seam around the edge of the top of the hat.
5. Flip one sewn hat piece right side out and place the inside out sewn hat directly inside of the right side out hat piece.
6. Put the two brim pieces together, wrong sides together. Then pin this around the outside of the sewn hat pieces.
7. Sew around the edge of this seam, making sure to sew through both the loops and both of the brim layers.
8. Sew a hem around the edge of the brim by folding under the seam as you go.