Sew a cute and cozy little mermaid tail for the little one who loves the sea! This mermaid tail pattern is free and easy to make!
What you need
1 yard of fleece (for a small child, ages 2-4. For older children, use 2 or 3 yards).
1/2 yard of fleece in a coordinating color
Felt scraps for embellishments
Download the mermaid fin pattern.
- Fold the yard of fleece in half, on the long side of the fabric. Cut a diagonal line from one end to the other.You cut a diagonal line from one end to the other along your yard stick, and then open the fold back up so that you have 2 triangles.When cut, you should have two long triangles.
2. Using the pattern, cut two tail pieces from coordinating fleece.
2. Pin one tail piece in between the two large triangles.
4. Sew up the side of the tail with the pinned pieces.
5. Roll up the first tail piece inside, and then position the second tail piece like the first, so that you will sew through the edge of that piece when you sew up the length of the second side of the triangle, repeating the same process of the first side.
6. Flip the tail right side out.
7. Cut four 4 inch circles out of the coordinating fleece.
8. Cut the circles in half to make scallops.
9. To finish off the top, sew on the scallops around the top edge of the tail, four on each side, and then fold over the top edge toward the inside to make the hem. Sew along the hem for a finished edge.
10. For embellishments, take felt in coordinating colors and cut starfish, swirls, turtles, or seahorses. Sew on with embroidery thread for a quick and easy applique.
All set for the little ones to sleep in!