Cardboard boxes are an everyday item ideal for use in packing up belongings and transporting products. With some imagination though, you can turn these ordinary boxes into something more useful.
What you need
cardboard boxes, duct tape, Styrofoam blocks, ruler, glue gun, adhesive, area rug
Cardboard boxes are an everyday item ideal for use in packing up belongings and transporting products. With some imagination though, you can turn these ordinary boxes into something more useful. Below are some of the imaginative things you can turn your cardboard boxes into and how to transform them.
Tables are essential to hold up items for a group of people such as their meals, books, TV remotes and more. Having one in the living room and kitchen is common. Placing a table in other places such as the front yard or an outdoor area is not usually a good idea. Bringing one outside is cumbersome and it can also be dangerous. A cardboard table is perfect as disposable furniture for almost any occasion.
To make one, simply follow the steps below.
- Use duct tape on the corners of the box to reinforce it.
- Measure the height of your cardboard box.
- Cut five Styrofoam blocks the same height as the box.
- Insert four of the Styrofoam rectangular blocks to each corner. Place the last one in the centre of the box.
- If your box is still shaking, insert more Styrofoam blocks.
- Use a hot glue gun on the blocks while it is inside the box in order to secure them in place.
Cardboard tables are lightweight so you can carry them anywhere outdoors. You can also use the same procedure to create a cardboard chair by adding more Styrofoam blocks. This can strengthen the box to support a person’s weight.
Cardboard organised shelves
Every house need shelves to store and organise your belongings. For most, the closet is their one stop solution. However, the space inside is not unlimited and many end up with one disorganised pile of belongings. With cardboard boxes, you can create a customised shelf to organise all of your stuff.
Below are the steps to create cardboard shelving.
- Determine how many shelves you want to make.
- Stack the boxes on top of each other to get an idea of what the shelves will look like. Ideally, it is best to have a column of two to three boxes.
- Remove all the flaps from all of your boxes.
- Use duct tape to make the edges soft and safe.
- Use a glue gun to apply hot adhesive in between the boxes.
- Create another column of cardboard boxes.
- Apply hot adhesive on the sides of the column.
Always stack heavy items at the bottom of your cardboard shelves. This can provide support to the shelves and prevent it from tipping.
Cardboard play area
Parents are often frustrated at how their house is a mess due to scattered toys. Even if they have their own rooms, kids leave their play things just about anywhere. A good way to get them organised is to make a large play area for them to play in by using a large cardboard box.
To make a simple cardboard play area, just follow these steps.
- Cut a large cardboard box in half.
- Connect the opposite sides of the card board where the opening was before. Use duct tape to connect them.
- Use duct tape on the edges to make them soft.
- Place an area rug under the cardboard play area.
Your kids will enjoy the play area as opposed to the floor. This is where your children can also leave all of their toys instead of just scattering them around the house.
The three items mentioned above are just a sample of what you can do with a cardboard box. Recycling them is a great way to save money and protect the environment.