What you needChunky yarn, 40 yards (Substitute: 2 strands of worsted weight yarn. 80 yards)
(This design used one strand of grey, and one strand of white)
Crochet Hook, size 9mm for the hat, size 6.5mm for the flower
Size: newborn to 3 months
Gauge 2 stitches = 1 inch
NEWBORN to 3 MONTHS:
1. Chain 5, slip stitch to join and form a ring.
2. Chain 2, make 11 double crochet in the ring, slip stitch to join.
3. Chain 2 and turn, double crochet in the same stitch, make 2 double crochet in each stitch around, slip stitch to join. (24 stitches)
4. *Chain 2 and turn, double crochet in each stitch around, slip stitch to join. Repeat from * for 2 more rows, and fasten off. Weave yarn ends into the finished work.
MAKE THE POMPOM:
1. Wind yarn around your fingers. The more you wind the yarn, the fatter the pom-pom. (For a smaller pom pom, wind around 2 or 3 fingers. For a larger pompom, wind around a 4 or 5 inch piece of cardboard. A larger pompom on a 4 inch cardboard was used in this design.)
2. Slide the bundle off, and tie tightly in the center with a length of yarn.
3. Cut open the loops on the ends.
4. Fluff out, and trim the ends into a rounded shape. Tie the pompom on the top of the hat.
MAKE THE FLOWER:
With one or two strands of worsted weight yarn, and a size 6.5mm (USK-10.5) crochet hook.
(Pink flower has one strand, purple flower has 2 strands.)
Chain 5, slip stitch to join and form a ring.
*Chain 8, single crochet in the ring. Repeat from * to make a total of 5 loops in the ring, slip stitch to join, and fasten off. Sew a button in the center of the flower, and attach the flower to the hat.
This hat shows 2 flowers, overlapped.
by Emi Harrington
(This pattern, in all sizes from newborn up to adult, may be purchased at www.Hectanooga.etsy.com for $3.99. Crochet Pattern # 433.)